It's one thing to believe in absolutes, another to believe absolutely.

2006-02-19

LOST LUGGAGE

Be Prepared
I usually shake my head in disgruntled fashion when I see fellow airline passengers allowed to maneuver large, so-called carry-on luggage through narrow isles, holding up others as they attempt (frequently without success) to weight-lift and shove it into overhead bins only to dislodge or scrunch and flatten hats, coats and other more reasonably-sized carry-on items.

But considering the lost-luggage statistics just released for 2005, I wonder whether I should stop checking in my luggage. Some 10,000 pieces of luggage a day were lost by airlines in 2005. While this is a sobering number, to be fair to airlines, this translates to fewer than 10 in 1,000 pieces, and most of them do find their way to owners eventually.

Well, I will at least make sure to think about which items I would not like to do without for a day or two on my next business trip, and pack them in my carry-on bag (for starters, my toothbrush, pillowcase cover, undies, socks... and picture of my family; I guess I'll have to purchase a wine bottle opener should the luggage get lost, as my trusty swiss army knife would be confiscated by the TSA).

1 Comments:

Blogger Karl Mueller said...

In October our group of 11 had 22 pieces of luggage lost for between 1 and 5 days. Now we were in Kenya -- but British Airways was not very helpful in the whole process. Recently Continental managed to lose 46 pieces of luggage for us (group of 26) in Guatemala -- took over a week to get. In December I took a non-stop flight from Phoenix to Dallas, and America West managed to lose my luggage! That kind of took the cake.

February 19, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home